Employees Need to Feel Like They’re Contributing
July 30, 2015 Leave a comment
How people feel about what they are doing (intrinsic motivation) is a key to sustaining their focus, energy, and commitment. One of the ways for companies to tap into this intrinsic motivation is to find ways for employees to feel as if they are contributing to the organization’s success (which is consistent with lessons from positive psychology).
As you can see in the chart below, people who believe they are contributing are:
- More than twice as likely to help someone at work
- Almost four times as likely to do something unexpectedly good for the company
- More than twice as likely to make a recommendation
- More than twice as likely to recommend that a friend apply for a job
- 36% less likely to look for a new job
- 30% less likely to take more than one sick day
The bottom line: When people feel like they contribute, they contribute even more.